National Credit Union Youth Month
This April, Delta Community is celebrating National Credit Union Youth Month. Good financial habits start early and Delta Community is here to give your child a head start.
Join the Youth Savings Challenge
Learning to save money is important at every age. Starting small and saving often can lead to big results. As a part of the Youth Savings Challenge, download the Youth Savings Challenge Worksheet and join us in saving for the future. We'll send you periodic emails throughout the year with tips to help you reach your goals. And, if you make a deposit at a branch, you’ll receive a free gift while supplies last.
Don’t have a Delta Community Youth Savings Account?
Open a new Delta Community Youth Savings Account from April 1 – April 30, 2019 and we’ll match the opening deposit of up to $100.* Give your child a head start on reaching their savings goal by opening the account at any Delta Community branch location. For any child 0-12, just complete the Youth Savings Account Application and return it to any one of our local Credit Union locations along with the $5 membership deposit. You may also fax the completed form to 404-677-4802 or mail it to the address listed at the top of the application.
Savings Activities for Elementary School
- Ask your parents to help you open your own Savings Account at Delta Community Credit Union. Keep track of how much money you put in and take out. That way you can see how close you are to meeting your savings goal.
- If you're saving up for something special, like a new bike or toy, hang a picture of it on the wall. This will remind you of your savings goal every day until you reach it.
Savings Activities for Middle School
- Ask your parents if you can plan a family event, like a trip to the zoo or an afternoon at a waterpark. List all the things that will cost money—like tickets, food and souvenirs. Set a budget, and encourage everyone to stick to it when the big day arrives.
- Make a list of things you want to spend your money on. Put the list in order, starting with the things you want the most. This will help you figure out what you really want to save up for.
Savings Activities for High School and College
- Consider taking on a part-time job. Earning your own money can help you save for big goals, like car or college expenses.
- Open a Checking Account at Delta Community. Learn how to use a debit card responsibly and track transactions. Those skills will come in handy now and in your financial future.
Tips for Everyone
Learning to save money takes practice. By saving, you can spend money on what's important to you—whether that's a new video game, a trip to the movies, a used car or even a college education. Check out our savings tips that will be helpful whether you're 5 or 25.
- Set reasonable goals.
- Save first, not last. As soon as you get your paycheck, your birthday money or your allowance, put part of it away in savings.
- Track your spending and your savings. People who track their spending soon find they spend less and save more.
- Be a bargain hunter. When you do spend money, make sure you check for the best bargain. Watch the price tags, not the brand names at the store.
- Ask questions! If you have questions about money or saving, ask the professionals at the Credit Union. They’re ready to help you.
*To obtain the bonus of up to $100, open a new Youth Savings Account between April 1, 2019 and April 30, 2019. For accounts opened in a Delta Community branch, the opening deposit for the desired bonus match must be made in full on the same day that the Youth Savings Account is opened. Applications sent by mail or fax must be postmarked and/or received by April 30 with all required documentation submitted and account funded by or before May 15, 2019. The bonus match will be applied to the original deposit transaction; subsequent deposits will not be considered for the bonus match. Offer cannot be combined with other offers. Offer valid for first-time Youth Savings Accounts only. Youth Savings Account holders must be between 0 to 12 years of age at the time of account opening to be eligible to participate in the promotion. Offer may only be redeemed once per account. Applicant must be eligible and qualify for membership. The bonus match of up to $100 will be deposited to the Youth Savings Account within 60 days after the promotional period has ended. To receive bonus, account must be in good standing, with deposit balances above zero dollars. The account balance must be greater than or equal to the opening balance at the time of bonus fulfillment in order to be eligible for the full match. If account balance is lower than the original balance, the deposit match will be made at the amount remaining in the account up to $100. Bonuses earned through this promotion are subject to IRS reporting. The Annual Percentage Yield for Savings is 0.35% as of April 1, 2019.