Delta Community Insights for February 2021
Stay Alert for Scam Phone Calls
Recently Delta Community has learned of members receiving fraudulent phone calls from individuals claiming to be from the Credit Union. When this happens, the phone number the scammers are calling from is “spoofed,” meaning it might appear to be a legitimate Delta Community contact number but is fake. The caller tells the member that there has been a specific, fraudulent charge on the member's account and asks the member to confirm his or her identity. Please remember that we will never call, text, or email you to ask for your personal account information, such as account login credentials, one-time passcode or your ATM, telephone, debit or credit card PIN. If you suspect an incoming call is fraudulent or spoofed, please hang up and call our Member Care Center at 404-715-4725 or toll-free at 800-544-3328 for assistance. Visit our website for more information on how to spot scams.
Get Rewarded with Our Visa® Platinum Rewards Card
Enjoy the spending power of a Delta Community Visa Platinum Rewards Credit Card, with no annual fee and a wide array of rewards to choose from! You’ll be automatically enrolled in our Reward Points Program with this card and, as an added benefit, you can receive up to 10,000 Reward Points when you spend $2,500 in the first 90 days.1 You can also earn 1.5% Cash Back2 on Balance Transfers with no transfer fee.
To get started, log in to Online Banking or our Mobile App and select Apply for a Loan or Credit Card, or call our Loan Consulting Group at 844-544-9478. You may also have a personalized pre-approved offer waiting for you, which you can check in Online Banking by clicking the Offers tab or in our Mobile App by selecting More and then Offers.
2021 Scholarship Application Period Open
Delta Community is now accepting entries for our 15th annual Scholarship Program. Five applicants will be awarded a total of $25,000—five $5,000 awards based on academic achievement, community involvement and submission of an essay. Applicants must be Delta Community members enrolled full-time at an accredited college or university in the United States during the fall semester of the 2021-2022 academic year.
Scholarship applications must be received by March 1 and winners will be announced in early April. Visit our website for full program details.
HBCU Scholarship Application Period Opening This Month
In addition to our annual Scholarship Program, Delta Community will also award $10,000 in scholarships throughout 2021 to students of Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs). We will begin accepting applications for our first quarter HBCU Scholarship in mid-February. If you know an exceptional student currently attending a Georgia HBCU or a graduating high school senior who has received an official acceptance letter to a Georgia HBCU, tell us why they deserve to receive a $2,500 scholarship.
Delta Community will select one winner from among the most compelling submissions.
Philanthropic Fund Grants Awarded in January
We recently presented the first four grants from our 2021 Philanthropic Fund, totaling $27,500, to the organizations listed below:
- Innovative Solutions for Disadvantage and Disability received an award of $5,000 for Project GRANDD (Grandparents Raising and Nurturing Dependents with Disabilities), which provides supporting services to grandparents raising grandchildren with disabilities, ensuring that children remain in stable, loving homes.
- East Atlanta Kids Club, Inc., pictured above, accepted an award of $5,000 for their Out-of-School Programs, which provide tutoring, mentoring and other enrichment programs for at-risk students.
- Atlanta Ronald McDonald House Charities received $7,500 for their Adopt-A-Family Program, which provides a home-away-from home for families of seriously ill and injured children being treated at local hospitals.
- StandUp for Kids was awarded $10,000 to go toward their mission of ending the cycle of youth homelessness. The funds from this grant will help with their Outreach and Mentoring Program, which matches youth with trained volunteers to keep homeless students in school.
The Delta Community Philanthropic Fund will invest a total of $125,000 throughout 2021 to 20 metro Atlanta non-profit organizations that support the physical and financial needs of people who live within the communities we serve.
Delta Community Ranked Among Nation's Best Credit Unions
Delta Community has been named one of the nation’s top 10 credit unions that consumers should consider in 2021, highlighting our customer service, award-winning Mobile App and competitive CD rates. The online publication GOBankingRates.com aggregates information on the nation’s most attractive banking services and rates, and they analyzed data from more than 120 financial institutions for this year’s list. “We are grateful for this recognition, which highlights the exceptional service and value Delta Community consistently offers,” said Delta Community CEO Hank Halter. “We are committed to serving individual and business members with competitive rates on both deposit products and loans. As consumers continue coping in 2021 with the current economic challenges, we will remain focused on providing the products and support they need to manage their household and business finances."
End-of-Year Tax Documents Now Available
It’s tax season! Delta Community members enrolled in Online Statements will be able to access their 2020 tax documents in Online Banking and the Mobile App. As applicable, tax document will be presented under the December 2020 tab in your Online Statements. You can view and download your documents or print hard copies should you need them.
If you are not currently registered to receive your Delta Community statements online, you can quickly and easily sign-up now and get both your account statements and tax documents. Simply log in to Online Banking and select Online Statements under the Additional Services tab.
Documents available for downloading in Online Banking include: 1098, 1098E, 1099-A, 1099-C, 1099-INT3, 1099-Q, 1099-R and 1099-SA.
Financial Education Center Seminars
At Delta Community, we know that knowledge is the key to reaching your financial goals and establishing good financial habits. That’s why we’re offering a series of workshops each month focusing on a different aspect of personal finance. Whether you’re planning for a major milestone or trying to better manage your finances, our Financial Education Center offers the tools to help you achieve financial success.
February will continue our monthly workshop series with a focus on Debt Management. We’ll discuss ways you can save money on expenses, how to refinance and pay off debt and options for repaying student loans. We’re also hosting our Teens & Money workshop to help teens prepare for their financial future.
Check our Events & Seminars page for more information on upcoming seminars.
- Using Your 2020 Stimulus Payment, Tax Refund, Commission or Bonus Wisely: An expected refund, commission or bonus can inspire exciting plans for spending our new money. Splurging on something self-indulgent and, maybe, unnecessary, might seem justified, as the COVID-19 pandemic of 2020 was stressful for many people, both financially and in other ways. It’s natural to want to reward ourselves using part or all of a tax refund or bonus, which we may think of as extra money that’s different from our regular pay. Keep in mind that tax refunds are money that you’ve already earned. Whether it’s your regular pay or a refund, commission, or bonus, you should be still be responsible with how you use that money.
- Preparing Your Finances for the New Year: Happy new year! Welcome to 2021, a new year filled with hopes, goals and plans for this year and beyond. As people around the world have been making resolutions and deciding what will be different for them in the new year, it's vital to not leave out our goals and plans for our finances, and how they will be used to benefit ourselves and others.
- Celebrating Valentine’s Day on a Budget: Sunday, February 14, is Valentine’s Day. In the United States, Valentine’s Day in February is a popular culture holiday that has become associated with displays of affection for friends, family members, and romantic partners. It is a time to celebrate our most important personal relationships, and highlight them with traditional activities such as shared meals, gifts of flowers or candy, other presents or actions demonstrating our feelings.
As of December 31, 2021
- Assets: $7.7B
- Deposits: $6.8B
- Loans: $4.9B
- Members: 432,378
Monday, February 15
Member Care: 800-544-3328
Home Loans: 866-963-7811
EVERYTHING YOUR BANK SHOULD BE™
1. The 10,000 Reward Points will be awarded if you spend a net total of $2,500 in signature-based purchase transactions (without the use of a PIN) minus return transactions within 90 days of account opening. Balance transfers, money transfers, and cash advances do not count toward spend requirement. To qualify, purchases must post within 90 days of account opening. You will not qualify for this offer if you are in default of your Delta Community Visa Consumer Credit Card Agreement. To receive points, account must be in good standing, with deposit balances above zero dollars, any applicable loan payments current, and all accounts in compliance with any other terms, conditions and governing requirements.
2. To obtain Cash Back, member must initiate a Balance Transfer through Online Banking or using the Balance Transfer form available on the Credit Union’s website. The minimum Balance Transfer amount is $500. Balance Transfer requests cannot be transferred or used by any persons other than the primary cardholder on the account. You will not qualify for this offer if you are in default of your Delta Community Visa Card Agreement. The Cash Back will be calculated as 1.5% of the balance(s) transferred and will be credited to your Primary Savings Account after the balance(s) transferred has revolved for two consecutive billing cycles. Please note that interest accrues daily since Balance Transfers are considered Cash Advances. See the Balance Transfer Request form within Online Banking for additional Terms & Conditions.
3. A 1099-INT Form will only generate for accounts that have earned at least $10.00 in interest during the calendar year.
Insured by NCUA.